Arts, Music, Off Campus

Calling All Boston Calling Festival Goers: Previewing Boston Calling 2018

Boston Calling will bring together world-renowned musicians, entertainers, and food vendors in Allston, Mass. on Memorial Day Weekend. With three stages played by artists like The Killers, Jack White, and Eminem and continuous entertainment in the festival’s arena throughout the three days, this year’s festival is stacking up to be one of the best yet.

Music

The Killers, the masterminds behind the party anthem “Mr. Brightside,” will take the Green Stage on Friday, May 25 and can be expected to play old favorites as well as newer tracks like “Run For Cover” and “The Man” from their 2017 album Wonderful, Wonderful. Fellow rockers Paramore and The National will play the Red Stage and the Delta Blue Stage concurrently leading up to The Killers’ set, forcing festival goers to choose between the raucous sound of Paramore’s radio hits and The National’s more relaxed, indie sound. Portugal. The Man, the group behind the ultra-cool Grammy-winning “Feel It Still,” will also play the Green Stage along with Noname and Big Thief.

Saturday, May 26 will feature a headlining performance from rocker Jack White. A member of The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather and a critically acclaimed solo artist, White will command the Green Stage with iconic guitar riffs from stadium anthems like “Seven Nation Army” and “Steady, As She Goes” as well as more experimental selections from his recently released Boarding House Reach. Attendees will have to choose between the popular rapper Tyler, The Creator and veteran alternative rockers Queens of the Stone Age prior to White’s set. With an upcoming album, it is possible BROCKHAMPTON will play not-yet-released tracks during its hour-long set in the afternoon. Hard rock group Royal Blood will heat up the Red Stage with heavy riffs, while R&B artist Daniel Caesar will cool the Delta Blue Stage down with airy verses. Festival goers can expect relaxing mellow musical performances by St. Vincent and Manchester Orchestra during the day.

Rap legend Eminem will conclude the three-day festival on Sunday, May 27 with a nearly two-hour set. Fans can expect the performer to pick tracks spanning his 13-album discography, including legendary hits like “Lose Yourself” and “My Name Is” as well as new tracks from his 2017-released Revival. Festival goers will face a tough choice between the sets of rising pop star Khalid and indie folk phenoms Fleet Foxes, which will run concurrently prior to that of Eminem. Alt rocker Julien Baker and indie rockers The Decemberists, both of whom have recent releases, will invigorate audiences at the Delta Blue Stage during the final day of the festival.

Entertainment

Boston Calling will offer an eclectic range of entertainment at this year’s festival. Natalie Portman, an actress who won an Academy Award for her performance in Black Swan and star of the 2018 film Annihilation, will be accompanied by friends and fellow entertainers in the arena throughout the three days. Boston Calling has enlisted the voices behind the popular political podcast Pod Save America for Saturday. Comedians Cameron Esposito, BC ’04; Martin Urbano; and David Cross will all be featured in the festival’s arena over the course of Saturday and Sunday.

Food

Festival goers will have plenty of options to refuel during the three-day festival with over 150 menu items to satisfy a variety of diets. Beloved Boston-based eateries like Union Square Donuts, Zinneken’s Belgian Waffles, and FoMu, an Allston-area vegan-friendly ice cream shop, will satisfy the sweet tooths of the masses. The New York City-based DŌ, a cookie dough shop with round-the-clock lines out the door, will also be featured, giving Bostonians a sample of the tasty and trendy cookie dough. Boston College students can enjoy a piece of home with El Pelón’s Mexican food, while The Chubby Chickpea will cater to those with a taste for Middle Eastern cuisine. Additionally, Tasty Burger, Roxy’s Grilled Cheese, Arancini Bros, and Whole Heart Provisions will provide attendees with plenary food options each day. Those who are over 21 will be treated to an assortment of beers and wines, including Miller Lite, Mikkeller Craft Beer Bar, Barefoot Wines, and of course, Boston’s beer of choice Samuel Adams.

Festival goers can expect illustrious displays of talent by the carefully curated musical line-up, world class entertainment from seasoned actors and comedians, and tastes for all palettes at this year’s Boston Calling festival.

Featured Image by Ty Johnson / Boston Calling