Beanpot Team Capsule: Boston College Men’s Hockey

boston college men's hockey

Numbers to Know:

Record: 9-12-3, 9-4-3 HEA, 35th in pairwise
Goals For: 58 (2.41 per game)
Goals Against: 70 (2.91 per game)
Save Percentage: 0.903
Power Play: 15-for-81 (18.5 percent)
Penalty Kill: 82-for-99 (82.8 percent)

Season Summary:

This year has been far from a success for Boston College men’s hockey—it hasn’t managed a non-conference win and is four games under .500. BC returned a lot of players and bolstered the roster with a potent recruiting class—one that included the No. 11 pick in the NHL Draft in Oliver Wahlstrom—but the results haven’t translated for head coach Jerry York’s side. The Eagles started the 2018-19 campaign winless through five games—the worst start for the program since the Great Depression—as they suffered blowouts to Wisconsin and No. 1 St. Cloud State. They rebounded in conference play, but still struggled when confronted with unfamiliar opponents—a humbling loss to Bentley was the icing on the cake. BC has strung together a pair of four-game unbeaten streaks, yet it’s far from being considered for the Hockey East title, even if it remains within striking distance of the top of the table.

Players to Watch:

1) David Cotton, F

The Carolina Hurricanes draft pick is fourth in the country in goals per game (0.65) with 15 in 23 games, and he paces the Eagles in points by a healthy margin. Cotton also has nine assists to bring his total to 26, enjoying an impressive junior campaign after finishing his first two years with 24 and 28 assists, respectively.

2) Logan Hutsko, F

Excluding Hutsko from players to watch would be a disservice to the sophomore, especially after his three-goal performance against Harvard in the Beanpot consolation game last season put Hockey East teams on notice. Hutsko leads the team in assists (12) and is just a game removed from a two-assist performance against Massachusetts Lowell.

3) Joe Woll, G

Woll returns for his third Beanpot—he’s 0-3 all-time in the yearly tournament and will be eager to avoid further misfortune. The Toronto Maple Leafs prospect is 22nd in the country in goals against average (2.28) and save percentage (.922) and has a pair of shutouts on the year.

Last Beanpot:

All-Time Beanpot Record: 78-54, 20 Beanpot Championships

After suffering their first winless Beanpot in 25 years in 2017-18, the Eagles were desperate to turn it around in their return to TD Garden last year. Instead, BC fell to Northeastern and Harvard in successive weeks, extending their Beanpot losing streak to four games for the first time in 43 years. The Huskies stumped the Eagles in the first round, scoring a goal in each period en route to a 3-0 shutout. Northeastern would go on to win its first Beanpot in 30 years, so it was no surprise that the No. 11 Huskies dispatched BC with ease. Woll had 29 saves in the loss, which would prove to be the only game he played in the tournament. He got the next week off, and the Eagles fell to Harvard in the consolation game, 5-4, in overtime. Hutsko had a third-period hat trick to erase a pair of deficits in the final 20 minutes, but Crimson forward Seb Lloyd beat BC goaltender Ryan Edquist just under three minutes into the overtime period to come away with the win.

Outlook:

A first-round matchup with Harvard—a rematch of last year’s consolation game—isn’t the worst draw for the Eagles. A matchup with Boston University likely would’ve been preferred, they’re 1-0-1 against them, but the chance to end the streak of four straight losses is in sight. While the most likely outcome is a loss to the No. 19 Crimson and then a matchup in the consolation game with BU or No. 12 Northeastern, you can’t rule out the Eagles when they have it all together. The group beat No. 10 Providence in consecutive weekends and has the top-end scoring talent and goaltending to make things interesting, especially with their pride—considering the last two years—on the line.

Featured Image by Lizzy Barrett / Heights Senior Staff

Avatar
About Peter Kim 125 Articles
Peter Kim is the assistant sports editor of The Heights. He’s from Seattle, will die happy if the Mariners make the playoffs once in his lifetime, and still refuses to watch any of Super Bowl XLIV. Follow him on twitter @PeterKim_4