Weekly Roundup, Sports

Weekly Roundup: Baseball Secures First ACC Series Win, Lacrosse Keeps Winning

Welcome back to another edition of our Weekly Roundup, where we discuss everything that’s happened in the past week of Boston College Athletics. So without further ado, check out some of the things we’ve seen in the past seven days.

Lacrosse Continues to Roll Over Ranked Opponents

BC’s seventh game against a ranked foe this season ended in the same result as the first six: a a multi-goal victory. The Eagles played host to No. 7 Virginia on Saturday afternoon but were anything but gracious. Sam Apuzzo—who finished with a game-high six goals—opened the scoring, and BC ran out to a 10-1 halftime lead before cruising in the second half, en route to a 16-9 win. The victory moves the Eagles to 7-0 against ranked opponents this season. For a more detailed recap, check out our summary here.

Baseball Picks up a Big ACC Series Win at Florida State

The Eagles traveled to Tallahassee for a matchup with the No. 21 Seminoles and legendary head coach Mike Martin, and left having won two of three games against Florida State. On Friday, it was the bats that helped BC win. Gian Martellini got the offensive explosion started with a three-run home run in the first inning, and the Eagles finished with 10 runs on 14 hits, holding off a late Seminoles rally to win, 10-7. Saturday, BC rallied from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game on Brian Dempsey’s RBI single in the seventh inning and had a chance to win when it loaded the bases in the ninth inning. Cody Morissette struck out swinging to end the threat, though, and the Seminoles won the game in the bottom of the frame to knot the series at one game apiece.

Sunday, Mason Pelio took the mound for the Eagles and ensured they won the rubber match by spinning a gem. The freshman, who has quickly evolved into BC’s most reliable starting pitcher, allowed just two hits in seven shutout innings, and Sal Frelick broke a scoreless tie with a two-run home run, before the Eagles tacked on six more runs late to cap the series with an 8-0 win. For a more comprehensive article on the weekend series, check out our recap here.

Softball Drops Two of Three to North Carolina State

The weekend started off on the right foot for BC—the Eagles were held hitless until the seventh inning against the Wolfpack on Friday but rallied to score three runs in the bottom of the frame and complete a 4-3 comeback victory, thanks to Maddison Hamilton’s RBI groundout to shortstop. Saturday, however, the Eagles’ bats once again waited until late to come awake but weren’t able to offset a costly error in the third inning that led to three unearned N.C. State runs. Ellie Mataya plated a run in the seventh inning, and BC managed to bring the tying run to the plate in the form of Jenna Ergle, but the redshirt freshman couldn’t come up with a clutch base hit, and the Eagles lost the second game of the series, 6-3.

In the final game of the series, it was BC’s pitching that struggled. The Eagles gave up six runs in the first frame and were never able to recover, dropping the series finale to the Wolfpack, 16-9. Lexi DiEmmanuele went 3-for-5 at the plate with two RBIs in the loss, while Mataya continued a solid freshman year with three hits of her own.

Men’s Tennis Stays Winless in the ACC

The Eagles had a tough weekend, losing, 7-0, to Virginia Tech to fall to 0-8 in ACC play, then dropping a 6-1 decision to No. 44 Harvard on Sunday to finish off the weekend. Conor Mullins picked up BC’s lone point of the weekend against the Crimson, finishing off Lane Leschly in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. Mullins and Derek Austin also found some success in their doubles matchup, defeating Logan Weber and Andy Zhou, the No. 33 pairing in the country, but the Eagles lost the other two doubles matches and failed to win the point.

Women’s Tennis Matches Its 2018 Win Total

Women’s tennis, on the other hand, had a much more successful weekend, picking up wins over Houston and Louisville to match its 2018 win total. Against the Cougars, BC needed a comeback in the singles matches to stay unbeaten in non-conference play, rattling off five consecutive wins, including a 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 victory for Kylie Wilcox at the first spot. Sunday against the Cardinals, though, the Eagles got started on the right foot, as the pairings of Jackie Urbinati and Wilcox, as well as Laura Lopez and Elene Tsokilauri secured the doubles point for BC with victories. The Eagles proceeded to win four of six singles matches and capture their third ACC win of the season.

Moment of the Week: Sam Apuzzo’s behind-the-back goal

Fittingly, the goal made SportsCenter’s Top 10 segment. The audacity and skill required to try something like that—and score on it—is just another example of Apuzzo’s greatness.

Stat of the Week: BC Baseball wins its first series against FSU in 10 years  

The Eagles last beat the Seminoles in a weekend series in 2009. All time, BC is just 5-16 in Tallahassee.

What’s Next?

Lacrosse has two more ACC contests at home this week, first against No. 9 Notre Dame on Wednesday and then versus Duke on Saturday.

Baseball kicks off a 10-game homestand by hosting Massachusetts in the Beanpot Tuesday before a Wednesday game against Hartford and an ACC weekend series against N.C. State.

Softball travels to Boston University for a Wednesday contest before facing Notre Dame on the road in another ACC series.

Men’s Tennis has two weekend matches against North Carolina (Friday) and Duke (Sunday).
Women’s Tennis hosts Miami and Pittsburgh this weekend in a pair of ACC contests.

Featured Image by Bradley Smart / Heights Editor