Sports, Spring, Lacrosse

Charlotte North Declared Eligible For 2020 Season

After losing its top three scorers to graduation following the 2019 campaign, Boston College lacrosse’s attack needed a boost before 2020. They just got a huge one, as it was announced by head coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein in a statement released on BCEagles.com Monday afternoon that Charlotte North—who transferred from Duke to BC during the summer—is now eligible to suit up for the Eagles in 2020. 

North was originally slated to be ineligible this season, due to an ACC rule that states that any student-athlete who transfers from one school in the conference to another must sit out one full academic year before being eligible to compete. Waivers to that rule are available, and it appears that North did indeed receive one.  

BC, and the rest of the ACC for that matter, is very familiar with North. The Dallas native led the Blue Devils with 82 goals in 2019, just one year removed from totaling 59 as a freshman. North was named to the Tewaaraton Award Watch List and totaled at least three goals in 15 of 19 contests. At year’s end, North’s average of 4.32 goals per game was good for third-best in the country and best in the ACC. The Eagles were one of the few teams to limit North, holding her to just one goal and zero assists when the two teams met in April.

Despite the junior’s brilliance, the year ended in disappointment for the Blue Devils, who lost to North Carolina in the ACC Tournament semifinals and missed out on an NCAA Tournament berth. Rather than returning to Duke as an upperclassman, North decided to transfer to BC in July, joining fellow transfers netminder Rachel Hall and midfielder Bridget Simmons, as well as 12 freshmen as part of the incoming class that filled out BC’s 2020 roster.

“We’ve been watching Charlotte in awe for years and not only is she a game-changer, but her skill and tenacity can positively affect others around her, be an asset to our recruiting and strengthen our program for years to come,” Walker-Weinstein commented in a statement released in July that originally announced North’s transfer. 

BC’s attack was inevitably going to undergo a transition following the graduation of stars Sam Apuzzo, Kenzie Kent, and Dempsey Arsenault, among others, but now appears to have the perfect player in North—who has already excelled at the ACC level—to lead its new-look attack. The junior, along with returning leading scorers Cara Urbank and Sheila Rietano, will be expected to step into the void and lead BC back to the NCAA Tournament for the eighth straight season.

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / Heights Staff