Sports, Football

Panthers Hire BC Wide Receivers Coach Joe Dailey

Just two days after Boston College football offensive line coach Matt Applebaum left BC for the Miami Dolphins, the Carolina Panthers hired BC wide receivers coach Joe Dailey for the same position in the NFL, Pete Thamel reported on Twitter Monday. 

Dailey joined BC’s coaching staff in 2020 but has spent 14 years coaching in Division I. At BC, he helped receiver Zay Flowers transform from a freshman with 341 season receiving yards to a top NFL draft prospect with 892 receiving yards in 2020 and 746 receiving yards in 2021. Flowers’ 746 yards in 2021 came while quarterback Phil Jurkovec was out for six games with a wrist injury.

Under Dailey’s direction, the Eagles evolved from a run-heavy offense to one that ranked third in the ACC in passing yards in 2020. The Eagles ranked 12th in the ACC in passing yards in 2021, with Jurkovec and backup quarterback Dennis Grosel both spending time under center. 

Along with Flowers, Dailey helped develop CJ Lewis, Jaelen Gill, and Jaden Williams. Lewis recorded 201 receiving yards before an injury in 2021, averaging 15.5 yards per reception. Gill totaled 269 yards last season, and Williams had 183 receiving yards.

Prior to his time at BC, Dailey coached at New Mexico, Liberty, Bethune-Cookman, Kansas, and Buffalo. He started with Buffalo in 2008 as a graduate assistant and tight ends coach before moving to Kansas as a recruiting coordinator. He then served as the quarterbacks coach for two programs and the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for two more before starting at BC.

In addition to his work with BC’s wide receivers, Dailey helped head coach Jeff Hafley on the recruiting trail. He helped recruit Williams as well as four-star 2022 recruit Joseph Griffin Jr. and three-star recruits Ismael Zamor and Peter Delaportas. 
So far this offseason, three BC assistants have left the program, two for NFL teams and one—offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti Jr.—for Pittsburgh.

Featured Image by Steve Mooney / Heights Editor