Sports, Hockey, Women's Hockey

Levy Gives Up Four Unanswered, Eagles Get Topped By Vermont

Under 24 hours after a shootout battle with Vermont on Friday, Boston College women’s hockey faced off for its last game of the regular season against the Catamounts on Saturday.

BC (19–13–1, 16–9–1 Hockey East) and Vermont (21–10–3, 18–7–2) met for the third time this season for both teams’ last game before the postseason begins. The Eagles got out to an early two-goal lead, but Vermont scored four goals in the third period to defeat BC 4–2.

“You try not to think about it, but a two-goal lead in hockey is a tough one,” head coach Katie Crowley said in her postgame press conference. “We really wanted to get that third and give us a little more of an edge, but [I’m] happy with the way we came out in that first firing.”

The Catamounts failed to capitalize on a power play two minutes into the game. The momentum seemed to shift toward BC when Olivia Finocchiaro drew a penalty against Vermont in the 10th minute of the first period. 

On the man advantage, Alexie Guay set up a shot for Kelly Browne, who put the Eagles up 1–0 midway through the first frame. Just two and a half minutes later, Gaby Roy pursued the puck after a faceoff and beat a Vermont defender. Roy caught Vermont goaltender Jessie McPherson off guard and scored BC’s second goal of the day. 

Three minutes into the second frame, officials sent Roy to the penalty box for cross-checking, but Vermont’s Maude Poulin-Labelle joined her less than a minute later to put the two teams at even strength. Neither team scored. 

The Catamounts went back on the power play in the eighth minute of the period but failed to execute on the advantage. 

BC entered the third frame up by two goals and dominated the ice with consistent pressure and passing. But the Eagles’ effort was no match for Vermont’s Theresa Schafzahl. Just over six minutes into the period, Schafzahl sank the puck in the back of Abigail Levy’s net, cutting Vermont’s deficit in half. On the man advantage four minutes later, Schafzahl scored again on a far-side shot to equalize the score. 

The Catamounts continued to play with energy, and Alyssa Holmes scored in the 15th minute to give Vermont its first lead of the day. 

With under three minutes left to play, Vermont’s Maddy Skelton added an insurance goal when Levy hesitated while heading off the ice for an extra attacker.

“I’m not sure what happened there,” Crowley said after the game. “I think there was just some hesitation there and unlucky timing for us.” 

The Catamounts held onto their lead for the remainder of the game to close out BC’s season on a loss. BC will host Maine in the Hockey East quarterfinal at the end of the month. 

“We have got to remember we’re really playing well,” Crowley said. “I think we’re ready for the playoffs and ready to be in games where every game matters. … The good part is we get to host, and we like playing here in our building. We’ve earned that right, and I’m proud of our team for that.”

Featured Image by Leo Wang / Heights Staff