Sports, Spring, Baseball

Virginia Walks Off BC in the Bottom of the 10th Inning

After a three-run homer from Parker Landwehr in the eighth inning of Boston College baseball’s matchup against No. 19 Virginia, BC had the momentum it needed to top its first ranked opponent of the year. 

But in extra innings, the Eagles came up short, and Virginia (17–1, 3–1 Atlantic Coast) walked BC off in the 10th inning to secure a 7–6 victory. BC held Virginia, an offensive powerhouse, to fewer than 10 runs. The Cavaliers have scored more than 10 runs in all but five of their 18 games this season. 

In the opening game of a three-game weekend series against Virginia, the Eagles (7–9, 1–3) got off to a strong start, with Travis Honeyman driving the first pitch of the game into the outfield for a single. In the bottom of the inning, BC’s starting pitcher Joe Mancini struck out Virginia’s Jake Gelof, who holds the highest slugging percentage in the NCAA. 

The Eagles didn’t get on the scoreboard until the top of the third inning, with a solo home run from Honeyman. BC’s offensive struggles in the opening innings didn’t come as a surprise, though, as Virginia’s pitcher Nate Savino entered the game undefeated and was named the ACC pitcher of the week four days earlier. 

By the end of the third inning, Virginia held a 4–1 lead. The Cavaliers scored off two home runs in the second and third, as well as one run in the first inning. 

The Eagles’ momentum began to build, though, after Barry Walsh homered to left center in the top of the fifth inning. Then, in the top of the sixth inning, Honeyman hit his second homer of the game over center field, going 3-for-3 on the night with two home runs and a single. After Honeyman’s second home run, Virginia led the Eagles 5–3. 

The back-to-back homers inched the Eagles closer to Virginia. Down by two runs at the top of the eighth inning, sophomore Joe Vetrano beat a throw to first to avoid an inning-ending double play, keeping BC alive. 

With runners on first and second, Landwehr took advantage of Vetrano’s hustle and blasted a three-run shot over the left field fence, putting the eagles up 6–5.

As if that wasn’t enough to keep the crowd at the edge of its seat, the Cavaliers scored a run in the bottom of the eighth inning to tie the game, but a scoreless ninth inning led the game to extra innings.

In the bottom of the inning, closing pitcher Henry Leake was brought out of the bullpen to replace pitcher Joey Ryan in an attempt to reach the 11th inning. But Leake allowed Virginia to load the bases with one out, leading the Cavaliers to take the victory on a walk-off single. 

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / Heights Senior Staff