Sports, Top Story, Fall

BC Swim and Dive Program Indefinitely Suspended After Hazing, University Says

Boston College placed men’s and women’s swimming and diving on indefinite suspension after University administrators determined hazing occurred within the program, according to a statement from BC Athletics on Wednesday. 

“The University does not—and will not—tolerate hazing in any form,” the statement reads. “During the suspension, all Swimming and Diving student-athletes will continue to have access to academic and medical resources provided to all Boston College student-athletes.”

University Spokesman Jack Dunn said to The Heights that the Office of the Dean of Students will investigate the manner, and it will be adjudicated fairly and impartially through the student conduct process.   

The term “hazing” refers to “any conduct or method of initiation into any student organization, whether on private or public property, which wilfully and recklessly endangers the physical or mental health of any student or other person, according to Massachusetts’ hazing law.

The law also states that principal organizers of hazing shall be punished by a fine of $3,000 or less, up to a year in prison, or by both penalties. A failure to report hazing is punishable by a fine of no more than $1,000. 

The NCAA student-athlete code defines hazing as “any act committed against someone joining or becoming a member or maintaining membership in any organization that is humiliating, intimidating or demeaning, or endangers the health and safety of the person.”

BC bans any form of hazing, according to the Office of the Dean of Students.

“Hazing activities are generally considered to be physically abusive, hazardous, and/or sexually violating,” the office’s policy reads. “The specific behaviors or activities within these categories vary widely among participants, groups, and settings.”

While the Eagles were supposed to open up their 2023 campaign with a road meet against George Washington on Saturday, Oct. 7 after an intrasquad Maroon versus Gold competition, BC could still be on suspension by that point. 

Last season, BC finished 12th overall in the men’s ACC Championships with 158 points and 12th overall in the women’s ACC Championships with 179 points. The Eagles also placed first in the Terrier Invitational at Boston University and first in the BC Invitational. 

Joe Brinkman, the head coach of both the men’s and women’s team, is entering his second season on the Heights after spending the previous four years at Notre Dame as an assistant coach.