News, Off Campus, Top Story, Administration

BC Purchases Mount Alvernia High School Property Across From Newton Campus

Boston College purchased Mount Alvernia High School’s closed-down campus for $40.5 million, according to Massachusetts Land Records.

“Boston College has purchased the 23-acre Mount Alvernia High School campus and convent property at 790 Centre Street in Newton from the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception,” read a University release published on Tuesday

The University plans to use the newly acquired property, which is located across from BC’s Newton Campus, for “educational and administrative purposes,” according to the release.

Last March, Mount Alvernia High School’s board of directors and the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception sent a release announcing the school would close after 88 years.

“[The Francisican Sisters] reached out to Boston College, with which they have maintained close ties for more than 85 years, with the goal of keeping the property in the hands of a Catholic educational institution,” the University’s release read.

The Francicans Sisters’ decision to close the school was controversial among Mount Alvernia alumni. A petition that challenged the closure garnered 3,615 signatures.

“This recent move to sell the property is not a [reflection] of those same values that were instilled in each student,” reads the petition, started by Mira Robinson. “There was no opportunity given to Mt. Alvernia students, faculty, and staff to work toward a vision that the MFIC had in mind.”

Newton Mayor Ruthanne Fuller said in a statement to The Heights that Mount Alvernia High School was an important part of the Newton community.

“We learned from Boston College officials yesterday of their purchase of this important parcel,” she said in the statement. “We look forward to hearing more about their future plans for the 23-acre property.”

BC’s purchase of the property was finalized on Oct. 3. According to the release, the property contains three buildings and a garage, spanning 73,850 gross square feet.

Update (10/5/23, 3:45 p.m.) This article was updated to include that BC paid $40.1 million for the property and a statement from Mayor of Newton Ruthanne Fuller.