FINNEAS Explores Love, Heartbreak, and Self-Discovery in ‘For Cryin’ Out Loud!’

★★★☆☆

Known for his most popular song “Till Forever Falls Apart,” and as Billie Eilish’s talented brother, FINNEAS has recently captivated listeners with his new album, For Cryin’ Out Loud! As both a singer-songwriter and producer, he has made a significant impact in the music industry, carving out his own identity while contributing to his sister’s groundbreaking sound. 

His third studio album For Cryin’ Out Loud! features 10 tracks that delve into themes of love, heartbreak, and self-discovery, all wrapped in a sound that resonates with both intensity and vulnerability. 

The tone of the album shifts from introspective ballads to energetic anthems, capturing the complexities of relationships and the struggles of love. Each song unfolds a story that feels both intimate and relatable.

Musically, For Cryin’ Out Loud! draws parallels to FINNEAS’ previous work while also introducing new sonic elements. The production mirrors the epic soundscapes heard in his work on Eilish’s music, with grand choruses that evoke a cathartic experience. The album builds up to climactic moments, where listeners feel as though they are fully immersed in an emotional journey.

The album opens with “Starf—er,” a song with a soft piano melody that casually builds up, creating an engaging soundscape that sets the stage for what is to come. Lyrically, FINNEAS explores the theme of relationships in the context of fame and superficiality, addressing a former lover who used their relationship for personal gain and status.

“You starf—er, I loved you / Against my better judgment,” FINNEAS sings.

The album’s rhythm completely changes with the next track, “What’s It Gonna Take To Break Your Heart?” The track is a poignant exploration of unreciprocated feelings and the uncertainty that accompanies a fragile relationship. 

With the song’s layered synths, punchy percussion, and heartfelt lyrics, FINNEAS candidly questions whether his love will leave a lasting impact on his significant other. The song’s introspective chorus emphasizes a longing for clarity and connection, while the production gradually builds emotional depth, allowing listeners to feel the weight of his vulnerability. 

“If you only knew the way I pray for you, there’s nothing I can do / If you only knew I don’t mind making room, I just want more of you,” FINNEAS sings.

“Family Feud” is a heartfelt exploration of familial bonds and the complexities of growing up. The lyrics reflect on nostalgia and the bittersweet moments shared between siblings, particularly highlighting adulthood’s challenges.

In this track, FINNEAS reminisces about shared experiences and the weight of expectations, acknowledging that despite the distance that might grow between siblings, their connection remains.

“Part of me is part of you / Just a different shade of blue,” FINNEAS sings, emphasizing the enduring nature of family ties even amid conflicts and misunderstandings.

Musically, the song juxtaposes a laid-back, almost whimsical sound with poignant lyrics. This combination of introspection and relatable storytelling showcases FINNEAS’ growth as an artist, proving he can evoke deep emotions while still maintaining an engaging musicality.

The upbeat tune “Lotus Eater” finishes the album on a high note, encapsulating carefree moments amid life’s complexities. The track stands out with its infectious energy and clever lyrical play.

In it, FINNEAS reflects on the fleeting nature of relationships and the joy of living in the moment. The chorus is an anthem of youthful fun, capturing that exhilarating feeling of love and desire.

“Grab my wrist ’til your knuckles are white / It’s a brand-new kiss in the same old light,” he sings.

As the final notes of “Lotus Eater” fade out, listeners are left with a sense of resolution and reflection. FINNEAS’ ability to blend emotional depth with catchy hooks shines through, showcasing his growth as an artist.

With For Cryin’ Out Loud!, FINNEAS uncovers new emotional depths while staying true to the vulnerability and introspection that define his music. There’s always a raw honesty in his work—a desire to connect deeply with listeners through personal themes.