Fall, Sports, Volleyball

BC Swept by No. 5 Standford

Coming off a three-set comeback win over Cal in Berkeley, CA on Friday night, Boston College volleyball’s momentum came to a halt as they continued the road trip and took on No. 5 Stanford on Saturday night.

The Eagles (8–10, 1–5 Atlantic Coast) faced NCAA powerhouse, Stanford (13–2, 5–1 Atlantic Coast), looking to stay in the win column. Instead, the conference play woes continued and after a swift seep, the Eagles returned to the losing column.

Once again, the Eagles started slow in the first two sets. In the game against Cal, they lost the first two sets and then came back to win the next three, this matchup against the Cardinals told a much different story.

Against Stanford, the first two sets were blowouts, each ending with a final score of 25–13. In the first set, BC led at one point by 7–3, but Stanford went on a four-point run to knot the game up at 7–7 powered by a service ace from Audrey Ross and BC errors. Ipar Kurt’s dominance showed through in the second half of the set with four kills and impact plays.

In the second set, Stanford got out to a quick and commanding lead due to eleven total errors by the Eagles. Three consecutive kills by Stanford ended the set with a dominating win.

The third set is where the Eagles looked to turn the game around. Against Cal, this is also where momentum shifted and they ended up winning. BC kept it close for about half of the set knotting the game at 7–7, but Stanford pulled away with consecutive aces by Jordyn Harvey to take a 15–10 lead.

The Eagles almost staged a comeback, Stanford’s discipline was much better than that of Cal, and they held onto the big lead, ending the third set with a score of 25-19.

BC has only failed to win a set in two other games this year, earlier against Utah Valley and San Diego. This is the first loss in the loss where the Eagles were swept.

The rest of BC’s schedule is filled with 14-straight ACC matchups. The Eagles will play a slate of games at home against FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, and UVA up next before taking a road trip down to North Carolina.