Metro, Newton

Newton’s Italians-American Community Celebrate Heritage in Flag-Raising

Newton’s Italian-American community gathered around the City Hall back lawn Wednesday evening and raised the Italian flag to celebrate their heritage.

“All the Italians in this community, all the Italians in this audience, keep your heritage alive,” speaker Kevin Wright said. “Be proud of who you are. Be proud of what you stand for. It’s up to us to keep our neighborhood alive, keep it vibrant, keep our traditions alive.”

The Italian-American community in Newton is largely based in Nonantum, according to Newton resident Anthony Gentile. 

“There were a lot of the old Italians from down here,” Gentile said. “It’s where we came from.” 

Speakers at the event stressed the importance of keeping a vibrant Italian-American presence in Newton, a message that Mayor Ruthanne Fuller supported.

“We are blessed and fortunate that as new arrivals came from Italy, many found their way to Nonantum,” Fuller said. “They brought with them their abiding faith, deep love of family, and a commitment to public service.”

Italian-American Heritage month is celebrated every year in October, overlapping with Indigenous Peoples’ Day. Newton, as of 2020, is one of 20 Massachusetts municipalities that recognizes Indigenous Peoples’ Day instead of Columbus Day.

According to Nonantum resident Nick Pasquarosa, however, several members of the city’s Italian-American community disapproved of the change.

“As a full-blooded Italian, I’m very disappointed in our city council for replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples’ Day,” Pasquarosa said. 

Pasquarosa took the stage in a zip-up sweater with “ITALIA” embroidered in capital letters, and spoke out against the holiday’s erasure of the Italian Christopher Columbus day.

“Indigenous Day has its own national holiday,” Pasquarosa said. “For the City Council to replace Columbus Day, a state and federal holiday, is unconscionable.”

Pasquarosa’s speech was punctually interrupted by moments of spontaneous applause and approving nods. Fuller indulged in the feelings of the community, showing the City’s support. 

“I know that to some it felt like a slap,” Fuller said.

The Mayor further stressed the importance of bonding all communities celebrated on Monday.

“When Columbus Day is celebrated, I believe in each of you and in your long tradition of being welcoming,” Fuller said. “I hope that will extend to those who will be celebrating Indigenous Peoples’ Day.”

For most Italian-American community members, this event was a way to acknowledge those who paved the way for them.

Marilyn Petitto Devaney spoke of the duress of her father’s emigration to Massachusetts in a moving speech.

“He gave up his name, his ancestry, his language,” Devaney said. “Everything. He made up a name. It’s a novel thing to have your name taken away.”

Teresa Gentile Sauro, one of the event’s main organizers, emphasized the sense of pride at the event. Sauro was born on Oct. 14, and recalled her grandmother saying that her granddaughter would grow up to be “strong” like Columbus.“I am strong,” Sauro said. “I love my city, I love the lake, I love Italians, I love who we are.”

As the Italian anthem played on the City Hall outdoor speakers, the attendees raised their chins towards the ascending flag. Kids with striped Italian-branded sweats waved their miniature Italian banners in silence, as the flag rose, slowly, up in the air.