by

The main dance floor had mostly emptied out by midnight, but on the other end of the Boston Sheraton, Boston College jam band Juice was packing in the crowd for a third encore at Commencement Ball 2015. The group would close its two-plus hour set with a inventive cover of Kanye West’s “Gold Digger.” Frontman Benjamin Stevens, CSOM ’17, offered a velvety interpretation of Jamie Foxx’s take-my-money interlude while violinist-vocalist Christian Rougeau, MCAS ’17, tackled West’s verses.

It had been a wild evening for the eight-piece act, which started off with only a modest crowd, but by night’s end, stole nearly the entire senior class from Dorchester DJ Clinton Sparks, the event’s headliner. Juice’s diverse set hit on several high points, including a cover of Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie,” which finished the first half of its performance. Earth, Wind & Fire’s “September” also made its way onto the setlist. Both songs were later to be repeated by crowd request.

Per tradition, the regular set ended with Juice original “Where I Wanna Be,” the recently recorded group anthem. Considering this was an original, plenty in the crowd still seemed to know the words.

For bassist Rami El-Abidin, MCAS ’15, Friday marked his final Juice performance as a BC undergraduate, but for most of Juice, the night was a perfect occasion to rock some under-21 wristbands and crash the biggest evening of this spring’s Senior Week.

[aesop_gallery id=”99965″]