News, Top Story, Administration

Senior Admin Release Follow-Up Statement on Racist Incidents

Vice President of Students Affairs Barb Jones and Dean of Students Thomas Mogan released a statement on Thursday to update students on the recent racist incidents that have occurred on Boston College’s campus.

Last Friday, two signs reading “Black Lives Matter” in Roncalli Hall were defaced to read “Black Lives Don’t Matter.” In addition, a screenshot of a Snapchat showing a blackened steak and cheese with the caption “I like my steak and cheese like I like my slaves” was circulating widely on Facebook over the weekend. The statement also includes the erasure of a whiteboard directed toward Latinx students.

Read the full statement below:

“We are writing to you today to update you on the recent incidents of hate and racism that have occurred on campus.

“Unfortunately, we are saddened to report that there have been multiple incidents of Black Lives Matter posters being vandalized in the residence halls this past week. This racist behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Under the Student Code of Conduct, the defacing of posters on residence hall doors or in other approved posting areas constitutes vandalism and, if racially motivated, also constitutes a violation of the bias-motivated conduct policy. These acts, along with the recent defacing of a whiteboard directed towards Latino students and the racist SnapChat post made this past weekend, have made students of color, especially black and Latino students, feel disrespected and unwelcome on campus. We strongly affirm the rights of all students to live and study on a campus that is free from bias, discrimination, and hate.

“If you have any information about the vandalism that has occurred on campus, please contact BCPD at 617-552-4440. Anyone found responsible for committing these violations will be held accountable through the conduct system. Reporting these offenses is crucial to being able to address this behavior and to support students who have been victims of these violations.

“Our Jesuit and Catholic mission calls us to love and to care for each other.  The UGBC and FACES Council have provided the campus an opportunity to come together tomorrow as a community to show support for students of color, especially black students at Boston College. A solidarity march will begin at 12pm tomorrow at McElroy Hall and end in front of Corcoran Dining Hall (Lower).

“The conversation will not end on Friday. In our new Strategic Plan, Boston College has committed to “enhance the culture of care and welcome for all, including support for socio-economic and racial diversity within the campus community.” Boston College is committed to enhancing a caring and supportive environment for all of our students and we will continue to engage students in dialogue about the best ways to provide a welcoming and inclusive environment.

“We know that a number of you have reached out for support and conversation through various campus resources.  If you do need to talk to someone or need any additional support, please do not hesitate to reach out. Resources include: the offices in the Division of Student Affairs, Mission and Ministry, your faculty and others. Please know that the staff and faculty of Boston College cares deeply about you and your success.