News, Top Story, Administration

Regular Admissions Applications Increase 9 Percent From Last Year

The Boston College Office of Admission reported that applications for the Class of 2022 totaled 31,098, according to BC News. This figure is a 9 percent increase in applications from last year, but is short from the all-time high number of 34,061 for the Class of 2016. The figure mirrors the increase of early action applications, which increased by 15 percent.

The increase in application numbers is a rebound from drops in 2013 and 2014. Applications fell to 24,538 and 23,223, respectively, after BC added a supplementary essay as a required component for students applying through the Common Application.

This year’s growth was cited as sign of BC’s strength by Director of Undergraduate Admission John Mahoney.

“At first, students who considered applying to BC didn’t expect an essay, so they steered away,” Mahoney said to BC News. “But now, after a few years, people know the essay is there and so they take that into account when they look at BC as a potential destination.

“This points to BC’s continued strength among college-age students. If they decide to do the essay, it suggests a level of seriousness about wanting to go here.”

BC continues to draw large number of applicants from the North East, including Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey, but it was notable that applicants from more far flung states increased—California was up 9.71 percent, Texas 8.35 percent, and Florida 8.46 percent. AHANA+ students made up 33 percent of the overall applicant pool. International students made up 12.4 percent of the pool.

Mahoney also pointed to two recent BC initiatives, the Core Curriculum Renewal Program and the Schiller Institute for the Study of Integrated Science, as examples of programs that have especially excited potential students.

“Even just hearing the names of some of the new pilot courses really gets students’ attention,” Mahoney said. “They’re very impressed and intrigued with the way BC is revitalizing the study of liberal arts.”

Although construction on the Schiller Center will not begin until next spring, Mahoney says it is already drawing attention.

“The Schiller Institute is a great manifestation of Jesuit education in the 21st century: using strengths in the sciences and humanities to address world problems,” he said. “It looks and sounds very cutting-edge to this generation of college students.”

Featured Image by Taylor Perison / Heights Staff