News, Top Story, Administration

Mahoney Named Dean of Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid

Director of Undergraduate Admission John Mahoney has been promoted to dean of undergraduate admission and financial aid, Provost and Dean of Faculties David Quigley announced last week. In this new role, he will manage the offices of Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid, “aligning their functions to achieve Boston College’s enrollment objectives,” as reported by BC News.

“John Mahoney has long provided principled and visionary leadership in Undergraduate Admission, and he and his team succeed at attracting

a class of gifted and diverse students each year,” Quigley said to BC News. “I look forward to working closely with John in his new role as dean of undergraduate admission and financial aid, as we work to strengthen Boston College’s standing as one of the nation’s most selective universities.”

Mahoney has worked in his current role for 28 years, and at Boston College for 34.

He told The Heights it’s crucial that Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid work together once students are admitted to BC.

“The cost of college today is challenging for most families, and Boston College is fortunate to be both need-blind in admission and to meet the full need of all admitted students,” Mahoney said in an email. “The more these two offices can work together to help families complete forms and communicate with them, the better we are able to serve families as they are making important enrollment decisions.”

He also discussed how BC can go about recruiting a more socioeconomically diverse student body.

“Undergraduate Admission works throughout the year to recruit talented students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds,” Mahoney said. “This involves building relationships with community based organizations (CBO’s) throughout the country and targeting schools where these students are enrolled. We also work to arrange campus visits for CBO’s and high schools so these students can experience campus life and have their admission and financial aid questions addressed.”

Featured Image by Katie Genirs / Asst. Photo Editor