News, Top Story, Administration

Michael Davidson, S.J., to Helm Bowman Center

Michael Davidson, S.J., was named director of the Thea Bowman AHANA and Intercultural Center (BAIC) by Joy Haywood Moore, interim vice president for student affairs, this week. According to a press release, his tenure will begin on Aug. 27. He succeeds Ines Maturana Sendoya, who left the University to take a position at Wellesley College this summer.

Davidson previously worked as a resident minister in Campus Ministry, beginning in 2012, according to the release. He led the Jamaica Magis service trip and the Magis Civil Rights Immersion trip to Atlanta and Birmingham, Ala. In addition, Davidson serves as the co-chair of the Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Committee, as well as teaching a section of Courage to Know.

“As director of the BAIC I want to expand the wonderful work of the center so it can be a place where students of color can find home, be supported, and connect with someone who can journey with them,” he said in the release. “I am dedicated to our students, and I look forward to working more closely with them.”

Davidson is a native of Kingston, Jamaica and a member of the Northeast Province of the Society of Jesus, and served as dean of students at St. George’s College in his home country. Davidson holds a B.A. in philosophy from Arrupe College in Zimbabwe, a B.A. in theology and an M.A. in divinity from Regis College at the University of Toronto, and a master’s in educational administration from the Lynch School of Education.

“It is a wonderful coincidence when a critical role and an exceptional candidate for the position become available at the same time,” Moore said in the release. “Fr. Michael is known as a priest of and for the people and a passionate promoter of diversity and equity. We are very pleased to have him serve as the new director of the BAIC.”

Featured Image Courtesy of Boston College Chronicle / Lee Pellegrini

August 25, 2018