“BC After Hours” Initiative to Extend Hours in Maloney, Co Ro Cafe, Open 300 Hammond Pond

Boston College is launching an initiative entitled “BC After Hours” that will concentrate on providing late night locations and resources to students, according to a University press release. Notable additions to spaces being rolled out as a part of the initiative are an intramural sports field at the Harrington Athletics Village on Brighton Campus, extended food service options and hours, and new rehearsal spaces at 300 Hammond Pond Parkway.

“One of the four components of the University’s ‘Ever to Excel’ strategic plan focuses on student formation,” Vice President for Planning and Assessment Kelli Armstrong said in the release. “Creating spaces for students to collaborate, and to interact with faculty and staff, is an important part of our mission. These enhanced spaces are the first step in a plan to continually improve the environment for students, and we plan to offer additional spaces each year.”

The University has added a section to its website where all updates related to “BC After Hours” can be found. The initiative is a collaboration between Student Affairs, University Mission and Ministry, Dining Services, University Libraries, the BC Police Department, Auxiliary Services, Information Technology, Facilities Management, and Institutional Research, Planning, and Assessment. Academic offices also had a hand in influencing the new plans.

“Students tell us that spaces for collaboration, informal study, and comfortable socializing allow them to connect in intentional ways and create opportunities for engagement and dialogue—the very things that enable them to form deeper insights about themselves and others,” Joy Moore, BC’s interim vice president for Student Affairs, said in the release.

Shuttle bus service to 300 Hammond Pond will begin on Sept. 17. The website states that a multipurpose room will serve as choral and dance rehearsal space.

On that same day, a system for reserving rooms for group study in Maloney and Stokes Hall will launch. In addition, the fourth floor of Maloney will continue to be open to students, with a new setup that includes a charging station for phones and computers. The Vanderslice Cabaret Room will also be opened for studying when no events are booked in the space.

O’Neill Library will continue to offer multiple study spaces students can reserve. The study rooms on the fifth floor will now take room reservations up to seven days in advance, and reservations can range from one to four hours.

Printing will be offered on the fourth floor of Maloney in conference rooms 450 and 452, in addition to the print station on second floor of Lower, near Addie’s. According to the website, a printing station in McElroy is “coming soon.”

In terms of food, delivery will continue to be offered through BC GET from Hillside, but now also from new additions CoRo Cafe and Cafe 129 on Brighton Campus while those locations are open. BC Dining previously announced that delivery from Addie’s, Stuart, and McElroy will be offered through the app as well. CoRo Cafe’s hours will be extended to 10 p.m.

Coffee options will be available on the first floor of O’Neill, as well as Stokes South 114 and Hillside. The Lower Campus staple will be open until midnight with food options available until 8 p.m. Addie’s will continue to offer specialty coffee drinks as a part of its late night options.

Featured Image by Katie Genirs / Heights Editor