Sports, Basketball, Men's Basketball

BC Bolsters Basketball Coaching Staff, Hires Anthony Goins and Chris Markwood

One of the glaring questions surrounding the hire of Earl Grant as Boston College men’s basketball’s head coach was his lack of experience in New England. Apart from a three-year stay at Wichita State, Grant had spent his entire coaching career in South Carolina prior to his arrival on the Heights.

Grant took a big step toward strengthening his staff’s ties to the Northeast this week, as he secured a pair of assistant coaches who have extensive connections in the region.

The pair consists of assistant coaches Anthony Goins, formerly of Clemson, and Chris Markwood from Northeastern.

Goins spent two years with the Tigers, during which the program compiled a 32-23 record. Clemson went 16-8 during the 2020-21 season and secured a spot in the NCAA Tournament in which the Tigers were narrowly knocked out by Rutgers in the first round.

Grant served as an assistant coach at Clemson between 2010 and 2014, but he and Goins didn’t overlap in Death Valley. 

Prior to his stint at Clemson, Goins coached at Quinnipiac for two years and spent four years at Yale before that. 

Markwood has been on staff at Northeastern since 2014, and he has served as an associate head coach for the past three seasons. His responsibilities included coordinating, recruiting, planning practices, and student-athlete mentorship.

The Huskies have been strong throughout Markwood’s tenure in Boston. Northeastern has won or secured a share of the CAA title three times since 2014 and reached the NCAA Tournament in 2015 and 2019. Markwood was named the CAA Assistant Coach of the Year in 2020 by his peers. 

Featured Image by Michael Dwyer/AP Photo