Spring, Lacrosse, Sports

BC’s Coast-to-Coast Effort Lifts Eagles Over Harvard

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Boston College lacrosse poured in five goals while holding Harvard scoreless in the first quarter of Tuesday afternoon’s matchup against the Crimson, and the Eagles never looked back. 

After two scoreless quarters for Harvard, the Eagles (13–1, 5–1 Atlantic Coast) let up one goal in the third quarter, but BC scored nine more unanswered goals in a 17–1 victory over the Crimson (4–6, 2–2 Ivy). Hot starts are commonplace for BC, as the Eagles have scored first in all but one of their games this season and have only faced a first-quarter deficit four times. 

“I think it’s really important to come out in the first quarter and especially the first couple of possessions and send a message,” BC head coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein said after the game.

The Eagles’ win matched BC’s largest victory of the season, tied with its other 16-point win against then-No. 21 UMass on Feb. 16

After BC scored nine straight goals to start Tuesday’s game, Harvard’s Ilana Kofman scored the Crimson’s lone goal in the ninth minute of the third quarter. 

BC goaltender Rachel Hall made eight saves and allowed just one goal, a career low for Hall.

“It’s so exciting,” Walker-Weinstein said. “Rachel’s putting more work in, and the defense is giving her a really good shot. So I was really happy and proud of her.”

Twelve Eagles scored during the contest, led by Jenn Medjid with five goals—her fourth five-plus goal game of the season. Belle Smith scored two goals, and BC’s other scorers—Caitlynn Mossman, Kayla Martello, Hunter Roman, Andrea Reynolds, Melanie Welch, Mckenna Davis, Charlotte North, Annie Walsh, Annabelle Hasselbeck, and Kit Arrix—each scored one. Welch’s score was the defender’s first career goal. 

North—BC’s leading scorer—scored just one goal in the matchup, tied for her lowest game total of the season. In every other game, North has scored at least four goals. 

Walker-Weinstein said she was happy with the breadth of BC’s roster that made contributions in Tuesday’s game. 

“I’m so proud of the team, and there were so many great sparks,” she said. “People went in and did their job and made really good things happen.”