Sports, Fall, Men's Soccer

BC Fails to Generate Scoring Opportunities in Loss to No. 7 Duke

There’s no doubt that the ACC’s one of the top men’s soccer conferences in the country. Six ACC teams are ranked in the top 25 nationally, and conference stronghold Clemson won the 2021 National Championship. One of the conference’s top teams reminded BC men’s soccer just how strong ACC soccer is on Saturday. 

Despite a sound defensive performance, BC was outmatched under the lights in Koskinen Stadium. The Eagles (2–3–3, 0–2–1 Atlantic Coast) sparingly created scoring opportunities and fell to No. 7 Duke 1–0. 

Both teams began the match with a patient, disciplined approach. The Blue Devils (6–0–1, 2–0–1) controlled the majority of possession, and BC relied on its back line. Center backs Victor Souza and Diego Ochoa executed clearances as the Eagles fought against Duke’s strong attack. 

BC goalkeeper Leon Musial was active in the first half, frequently coming off his line to grab dangerous lofted crosses and through balls. The junior was banged up a bit in the 29th minute when Duke’s Amir Daley collided with him. Referees handed Daley a yellow card, and Musial remained in the game following some medical attention from trainers. 

BC’s best scoring opportunity of the first half came in the 36th minute when Tyshawn Rose took the ball up the left flank on a counterattack. Rose sent a left-footed pass toward the middle of the box that just missed Amos Shapiro-Thompson, who was driving toward the net. The ball trickled through in front of the goal before it rolled out of bounds. 

Midfielder Peter Stroud headlined the Blue Devils’ attack, sending multiple dangerous balls toward the net. In the 32nd minute, Stroud blasted a shot that just missed the target, keeping the score knotted at 0–0.

Shakur Mohammed was another key force in the Blue Devils’ offense. The sophomore generated a number of chances by using his speed to move down the right sideline and send crosses into the middle of the box. 

Duke unlocked the Eagles’ defense in the 53rd minute. Antino Lopez whipped a cross in from the right side, and BC’s defense cleared it. The clearance went directly to the feet of Ruben Mesalles, who rocketed a left-footed half volley from about 18 yards out to put the Blue Devils up 1–0. 

The shot was perfectly placed in the bottom-right corner, and Musial had no chance to make a stop. 

The Blue Devils seized momentum after their go-ahead goal, bombarding BC’s net with shots and threatening scoring opportunities. The Eagles struggled to control the ball, and Duke put constant pressure on BC’s defense. 

Shapiro-Thompson was the spark behind the few chances BC created. With the Eagles failing to possess the ball much in the final third, Shapiro-Thompson opted to send shots toward the net, including two long-distance shots that missed the goal by inches. 

Rose also generated a couple of last-minute scoring opportunities, sending a couple of balls into the 18-yard box, but the Blue Devils’ defense cleared them every time.